Simplicity 1693 pattern review

(Versione italiana sotto / Italian version below)



I received the pattern with the last swap I took part in, and I loved it. I really need basic pieces added to my wardrobe. And when I saw the picture of version A, many bells started ringing in my head – I have a similar fabric! What I didn’t take into account is that I was making my life hard – I mean, REALLY hard!! My fabric is not cotton, but a polyester rayon/silk or something. My mother gave it to me last year, and I guess it’s vintage because 1. It’s only 110cm wide (45″); 2. I don’t think my mom wears these prints anymore; 3. I found holes in it!!!

So, I had to work with a fabric fraying worse than poly-lining, and after I’d already sewn the neckline, the bias binding and the shoulder seams, I wanted to finish the sides with French seams. When I matched them, I discovered that I had holes in the fabric on one back panel… aarrgghhhh!! I wanted to throw away everything in my UFO pile. But this keeps growing, so I imposed to myself I HAD to finish it. I patiently took my seam ripper, unpicked the shoulder seam, the center-back one, and all three seams at the neckline…. you didn’t want to be in the same room with me while I did that!

By the time I got to the hemming, I was fed up with it. And that wasn’t everything, you know? I really like to make my life even harder than it is. The pattern has you sew a bias binding at the waist, it forms the casing for the elastic. I patiently sew it, inserted the elastic, tried it on and… didn’t like how it was on me. Sigh…

I took the seam ripper again, and unpicked the bias binding at the waist. That’s better! On to the hemming, then. I used my narrow hem foot, I just wanted to finish it sooner… and because it is so slippery, I ended up having bits of the hem that weren’t sewn properly… Seam ripper again, and FINALLY finished it! (Oh, I didn’t mention I had to unpick one sleeve that I didn’t like).

So, here it is! A blouse that tried my patience A LOT, was due for my Selfish Sewing Week challenge, and also had to wait one more month to have pictures taken. ūüôā

Here’s my review:

Pattern Description:
Misses’ pullover tops have round necklines with or without collar, back button and loop closure and can be made sleeveless or with long, short or flutter sleeves. A, C elastic waist forming a blouson; E, F have an easy swing shape.¬†(I made view A)

Pattern Sizing:
12-20 (I made size 14)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it was really simple to sew, and make a quick, easy, one afternoon make, once you’ve figured out your size and cut your pattern.

Fabric Used:
A polyester… something, probably vintage rayon.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn’t make the waist-casing, so it is a straight blouse. I also avoided inserting the elastic at the sleeves, because I liked it best without it. I used French seams for the side and for the sleeve seams. I also made a rolled hem instead of the folded one, so my blouse is an inch longer.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, and yes! It’s a versatile pattern, it has so many options, that you can just sew at least three-four different pieces, nobody will notice it’s the same! Just think about sewing it in a nice flowery cotton for summer, or a geometrical-design lace to wear with a pencil skirt for more formal occasions, the possibilities are endless. It’s really a great wardrobe builder.

Conclusion:
I really enjoyed sewing it, despite all the “adventures” and delays. It’s a great little piece, and I’m sure I can use it either with a pencil skirt, or with skinny jeans, depending on how I need it.


Versione italiana:

Ho ricevuto il cartamodello nell’ultimo¬†swap¬†al quale ho partecipato, e mi √® piaciuto tantissimo. Ho bisogno di capi-base da aggiungere al mio guardaroba. Quando ho visto la versione A, mi si sono accese le lampadine – avevo una stoffina simile! Non avevo messo in conto, per√≤, che mi stavo facendo la vita difficile – DAVVERO difficile. La mia stoffa non √® cotone, ma una seta/rayon di poliestere probabilmente. Me l’aveva regalata mia mamma (grazie, mamma!) l’anno scorso, e suppongo sia vintage perch√© 1. E’ larga solo 110cm, 2. Non penso che mia mamma indossa ancora queste stampe, 3. Aveva dei buchini!!!
Ho dovuto quindi lavorare con una stoffa che si sfila peggio della fodera in poliestere, e dopo che avevo gi√† cucito lo scollo, le spalle e lo sbieco, volevo cucire i lati con le cuciture inglesi. Quando ho sovrapposto i lati, ho scoperto dei buchi in uno dei lati dietro!! Volevo buttare tutto nella cesta delle cose non finite, ma questa sta crescendo, e mi sono detta che DOVEVO finirla. Con molta pazienza, ho preso il taglia-asole, ho scucito le spalle, lil dietro e le tre cuciture dello scollo… non volevate di sicuro trovarvi nella stessa stanza con me, quando lo facevo!
¬†Quando sono finalmente arrivata a cucire l’orlo, ne avevo abbastanza. E non era tutto! penso che mi piaccia complicarmi la vita… Le istruzioni dicono di cucire lo sbieco in vita, a mo’ di guida per l’elastico. Ho quindi cucito lo sbieco, inserito l’elastico, me la sono misurata, e…. non mi piaceva come mi stava… uffa!!
Con il taglia-asole ho scucito lo sbieco. Era meglio! Passiamo dunque all’orlo. Ho usato il piedino per l’orlino arrotolato, volevo solo finirla prima, questa blusa… e perch√© √® cos√¨ scivolosa la stoffa, mi sono rimaste delle parti dove non era cucito bene l’orlo. Di nuovo il taglia asole, di nuovo cucire… Finalmente finita!!!! (E non ho parlato della manica che ho dovuto scucire perch√© non mi piaceva come stava).
Eccola! La blusa che ha messo alla prova la mia pazienza, dovevo finirla per la Selfish Sewing Week, ed ha dovuto aspettare un mese per le foto!!

Advertisements